Thursday, December 1, 2011

HELLLPPP! I HAVE TO TRAVEL!




Ok, here's the deal:  I get to go out of state for a few days to visit with my husband's family and I'm excited to see them but I'm FREAKED out as to how to do it successfully.  I have NO experience traveling and I CAN NOT let my work on the case study slide while I'm gone. Actually, it's a great set up because I will have access to a YMCA, there's a workout facility (with very basic equipment, I think) where we are staying and I will have a kitchen to use where we are staying too!  What I don't know is:

  • How much food can I take on the plane?
  • How do I pack it so they (the inspector people) won't touch it!?!
  • What do I need to consider that I might not be aware of for traveling and staying on my food plan?

I'm great while I'm actually at my destination!  What I need to do is figure out how to get back and forth without faltering!  HELP!  Any and all advice is welcome!  Thanks!

Happy Thursday, dear reader! 

4 comments:

Cajun Girl Living In The Mountains said...

When we went home to New Orleans in October, I put my food in my checked bag. I brought single all natural peanut butter packets. I measured out all of my oats and put them in a ziploc. I did the same with my protein powder. I brought a bag of rice cakes too. They had no problem with that. Of course, like I said, it was a checked bag.

You can always go onto your aiport's site and read their requirements and regulations on what they allow too. Our airport site has pretty thorough information on all of that as well as a little email for questions.

Jim said...

Echoing what LPM said: as long as it's not an explosive, you can pretty much bring anything in a checked bag. When I was more strict about my food, I determined what access I would have to grocery stores at my destination and plan to buy anything I could there. Anything I couldn't (usually my favorite brand of protein bars) I would pack in a checked bag.

And, as long as it's not liquid, you can get away with bringing food in a carryon bag, too. Those very protein bars would go with me on the plane as a snack or in a carryon on shorter trips.

I recommend packing your own lunch for the flight and plan to do so on the way back. As long as there are no liquids, you're fine. (Spreads on a sandwich, etc. don't count.) Plus you'll eat better than what they have to offer on the plane!

You can bring an empty thermos / water bottle and fill it up or use it for mixing up some protein for consumption once you're past security, too.

Chelle Stafford said...

Just sent you an email with tips :-) You can do this! No worries! Plan ahead, stick to the plan, adjust when required. And keep breathing! :-)

Donloree said...

I take nuts, rice cakes, chopped up fruit, and am always open to buying 'just a chicken breast' from somewhere like Wendy's or McDonalds at the food court. Traveling is basically the only time I have protein powder. Even when traveling across the border, I haven't had problems with my fruit or nuts. I just claim it and show it to the people and they are pretty happy. There has only been one time I had to eat something before 'crossing over to the other side'! :) You'll do awesome!