Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Fitness Case Study - Week Two Recap

Week two of the Fitness Case Study is complete and I AM GROWING!!!  Only just a little bit, but I'm starting to see changes in my physique and I am sooo excited!  It was another fantastic week, I felt great and increased the weight on the majority of the exercises I did.


I did good sticking with my food plan but had a little mishap on Friday night.  The story goes a little somethin' like this:


On Fridays, we spend about 5 hours on the road because we take the two oldest kids to see their dad.  Not fun, but no biggie either, I just pack a cooler and go.  As long as I've already completed my workout, I have all my food and plenty of water to drink, there's nothing to worry about other than all the imbeciles on the road.  Just on a side note, this week is sure to be really exciting as we will be adding snow to the mix!  Yipee!!  NOT!


Anyway...  we were in my hometown, which is about 20 minutes from where the kids' dad lives.  My parents are there, and we needed to pick something up from my dad.  When we got there, he had a project he needed help with and naturally, my boy scout of a husband jumped right in.  Ordinarily, this would have been fine but I still needed to get to "Whole Paycheck" to purchase my grocery items that I can't get anywhere else.  It was about 8:30 and "Whole Paycheck" closes at 10:00 so I was getting nervous as we were about an hour away from the store.  We finally got back on the road and headed for the store.  I dug into my cooler and began to eat my dinner.  One of the items on my food plan for that meal was a hard boiled egg.  I hit it on the door handle of my car to crack it and OH BOY DID I MAKE A MESS!  Apparently, I hadn't let the little sucker boil long enough cause it sure wasn't HARD BOILED!  So I had a dilemma,  I was up Case Study Creek with out a hard boiled egg. That, ladies and gents, is NOT a good place to be.  I thought for a minute and it dawned on my that I could probably just go to the local McDoogal's for an egg.  I mean, they have "salads" right?  Surely, they must have a hard boiled egg.  So up to the drive thru we went, my confidence shining thru as I brightly said, "Hello, would it be possible to get one hard boiled egg, please?".  It was very quiet for what seemed like a very long time and then a very small, very timid voice answered back, "I'm sorry mam, but we do not have an egg.".  I was stunned!  "Oh, well I just thought since you have salads that perhaps you might have an egg?!?"  Again, the tiny voice crackled thru the speaker, "I'm sorry mam, but WE DO NOT HAVE AN EGG.".  So off we went, but not before my naughty boy scout husband ordered a very stinky, very sloppy, very disgusting McRibby Sandwich.  YUCKY!


Thankfully, nearby was a big grocery store.  "I'll bet I can get a package of those pre-packaged hard boiled eggs in there!  It'll cost more but I HAVE TO HAVE AN EGG!"  My husband drove to the door and just sat there.  "What are you doing?", I asked.  "You don't expect me to go in there, do you?  I'll see five people I know and have to chat with each one because I haven't seen them in forever (keep in mind we were in my home town) and then I'll never make it to "Whole Paycheck" in time!  YOU HAVE TO GO IN THERE AND GET ME AN EGG!!!"  By this time I was hysterical watching the time go by fearing that I would not get my egg in time nor make it to the store before they closed.  Darling hubby didn't want to go into the store so off we went, me without my egg.


Next we spotted a Submarine Sandwich place and thought surely they must have an egg!  In I went and out I came, still eggless.  But I was now armed with a plan!  There was a truck stop near by that had a full menu.  They would have an egg!  When I walked in I was greeted by the scent of gravy and greasy meat and a sign that read, "Please seat yourself".  "But I don't wanna sit down," I whined in my head, "I wanna get an egg and go!".  I bravely approached the counter where two ladies were working.  I nervously explained my situation, "Hi.  Ihaveaproblem.  Iamonaveryspecialdietandreallyneedanegg.  DoyouhavehardboiledeggsbecauseIreallyneedanegg!"  I took a deep breath and waited for their reply.  Behind me, I heard the truckers chuckling and one said out loud, "Huh, got a hankerin' for an egg huh?"  I remained stoic, motionless as I waited to see whether the truck stop would be able to save my bacon.  "Oh yeah, we got an egg.  You want it to go or...".  I didn't wait for her to finish.  "Thank God!", I exclaimed.  "You don't know how happy you are making me right now!  Yes, I need it to go!"  I grabbed a napkin from a pile behind the counter and said, "Here just put it in here!  I'm gonna eat it right NOW!".  She gave me a look, but took the napkin and held it up to the window so the cook could put the egg in the napkin.  "Bless your heart!", I said as I gently took the egg with a smile.  "You don't know the trouble I'd have been in if I had to tell my trainer and nutritionist that I didn't eat my egg."


I walked out of the truck stop with my shoulders back and my head held high reveling in the victory of it all.  At last, I had my egg.  I was more than ready to scarf it down... but not before my hubby took a picture for all of you.       



Me with my coveted "truck stop egg".  We named her Ersla, may she rest in  peace.

Happy Tuesday, dear reader!

5 comments:

Tabitha Citro said...

OMG!!!! ROFL! Your dedication is astounding!!!

Chelle Stafford said...

Hahaha!!! But did you make it to Whole Paycheck???? :-)
You are hysterical! Love the dedication and passion!!

Anonymous said...

Great story! Thanks for taking us along on your journey. Ok maybe can help me. We are about the same size (I'm 5.3" 113ish lbs). I eat mostly clean, lift heavy i think,and cannot figure out how to gain some muscle. I am beyond frustrated. I don't want
Tighter pants, just tighter glutes and visible biceps. Any insight you can givebased on your first two successful weeks?

FIGUR(E)-atively Speaking said...

Dear Anonymous,
Thanks for reading my blog! I totally understand your frustration. I have always struggled with putting on muscle. Something I can tell you from what I've experienced so far is that while it's important to eat clean, it's also important to eat ENOUGH. My food intake is almost double what I was eating before I started the study! Upon starting the study, the interview process was extensive. Tab and Chelle needed to know all the variables before they could come up with a successful formula for my growth. In addition to the food, Tab changes my workouts around, I think to keep my muscles confused. If you can swing it, I would find a trainer / nutritionist (I HIGHLY recommend the girls at Recipe For Fitness) who is educated and has experience in your situation. Everything is relative and individual, I now understand that there is no such thing as "one size fits all" when it comes to fitness. Find someone who can work with you to do a proper evaluation so you have the tools you need to succeed. Thanks again for reading and commenting. I'll try to help any way I can.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thanks for getting back to me so quIckly. I have definitely heard this before but if I start eating more and my clothes begin to get snug I panic. I'm trying to find a competent trainer who understands and can help me. Help find the real balance between ex. And food. Ive been following recipe for fitness and would have loved to be in the case study. Reread your post after the initially not being chosen. That's just how I feel. I'm sure you understand I feel so close and yet sooo far. Keep posting, I'll keep following and maybe I'll finally
Figure it out. Please pass along any tips. . Ugh. Thanks.