Monday, December 12, 2011

Fitness Case Study - Week Three Recap

I am woman... HEAR ME ROAR!

Week three of the case study brought with it some really incredible workouts!  Again, there were exercises I've never done and exercises I didn't think I was capable of doing.  As has been the case thus far, Tabitha knew exactly what she was doing and I was able to experience using muscles that I didn't know I had.  LOL, she's not called the "World's Greatest Trainer" for no reason!  She knows what's up!

The one thing I was positive I would NOT be able to do was a 60 second side bridge.  It was really, really hard and I shook like a leaf blowing in the winter wind but I DID IT!  WaHooo!  

I think "fun time" is over folks.  There was a big difference in these workouts this week.  Week three was not a "feel good, warm and fuzzy, happy workout" week.  I grunted, groaned and mustered up strength and courage I didn't know I had. I dug deep and pulled energy from the earth beneath my feet to complete some of the reps.  I feel like I'm turning a corner in my training journey and it's a one way road.  One of my goals this week is to begin some visualization exercises to work on the brain / body connection.  I need to focus on what I'm creating instead of what I currently have.  I find myself getting discouraged when I don't see instant results.  Remember the movie, Field of Dreams?  There was that infamous line, "If you build it, they will come.".  Well, the weight room is my "field of dreams" and if "I build it (my physique), they (muscles) will come".

ZOOOOMMMM!
Of course, the most important part of building a great physique is what you eat and I'm still doing plenty of that.  Thank God for it because if I was trying to do these workouts and still consuming the piddly amount of food I was eating before I started the case study, I would NOT be able to them!  There is no way I could train like this in an "under-fueled" state.  I'm runnin' on racing fuel, baby!

Well, I have a very busy week ahead of me as we are getting ready to travel next week.  Should make for an interesting week four recap, though.  I'll be talking about what it's like to travel while on the plan, walk into an unfamiliar gym and have a successful workout, how to make sure you eat what you oughta' while on the road and more! Stay tuned!

Happy Monday, dear reader!  



   

7 comments:

Tabitha Citro said...

Every rep, every set, every day, every meal, everything counts! :D

Great Job Carlene!

FIGUR(E)-atively Speaking said...

Thank you, WGT!

Chelle Stafford said...

I absolutely LOVE your fire!!! You've got this!! Woot!!!

FIGUR(E)-atively Speaking said...

Thank you, WGN (World's Greatest Nutritionist)!

Anonymous said...

Great post. Cheering you on from the sidelines. I like the way you're thinking about food as fuel - and getting enough. So hard sometimes. How do you know you are really eating b/c you need it and not justifying bigger portions. Really struggling to find the balance and would love some insight.
Thanks and keep it up!!!

FIGUR(E)-atively Speaking said...

Dear Anonymous,

Great question! I wondered whether I should really be eating this much in the beginning too. I'm so grateful that I have Tabitha & Chelle to educate me on this. I had no idea where to begin on my own. What I have noticed is this: I am hungry every two to three hours! My body is using up every bit of fuel I take in. I'm still at the point where, once in a while, I'll look at my plate and say, "I'll never be able to eat all this.". But I do eat it all and I'm always surprised to find that just a little bit later I'm hungry. Also, I've put on very little weight since I began the study so that's a good indicator of proper nutrition as well. To start figuring all this on your own, I would look up a metabolic calculator on the internet and figure out approximately how many calories you require. Just make sure you're honest about your activity level! You don't wan't to eat like someone training for the Olympics and work out like a ninety year old woman! Not a good combo! ;) It's time for my snack! Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

Thanks again. I think you've hit what has been a big question for me. A while ago I worked w/ a trainer who specialized in bb/figure training. His philosophy was that I should gain 8-10 lbs. then work on losing it while maintaining muscle. It didn't work for me emotionally, mentally or physically - who wants their clothes tight and uncomfortable. So. I need to eat more while still maintaining weight - time to find that balance. Thanks - and keep working!!